If someone gets caught stealing from an abandoned house, what are the possible repercussions?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone gets caught stealing from an abandoned house, what are the possible repercussions?

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Criminal Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If a person has been arrested for stealing articles from a seemingly abandoned home, he or she can be charged with theft and trespass both criminal offenses. Depending upon the value of the items stolen, the charge for the theft can be a felony.

The potential end result if the person is convicted or pleads out to the offenses stated above could be jail time, restitution and payment of court costs as well as a significant fine. Additionally, the conviction would go on that person's record which could negatively impact the ability to go to school (college) or get a job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption