If someone filed a Chapter 13 but hassincelost their job, can they now file a Chapter 7?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone filed a Chapter 13 but hassincelost their job, can they now file a Chapter 7?

A married, but sole breadwinner in the family, has lost his job. He and wife have 7 kids. They live in a small eastern AR town. They filed Chapter 13 to keep from losing their house, but due to finances they have no lights or heat, so are living with relatives. What is best recourse now after just losing his job? Can they keep their car and let the house foreclose?

Asked on January 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Here is the thing:  if you can no longer restructure your debt because you have lost your job you can convert the Chapter 13 bankruptcy to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy for a small filing fee ($25 in most instances).  Then you can discharge the debt instead.  I can not say that this is the best recourse for you.  One would have to look at all the factors.  As for the car and the house, you have to look at the exemptionsthat are permitted under Arkansas bankruptcy law.  Arkansas allows you to choose between state and federal exemptions.  The state exemption for a car is $1200.  As for the house (homestead) it is $2500.  Are you filing jointly?  You may rather a different option like a deed in lieu of foreclosure but always remember that you want the bank to "waive any deficiency".  Please go and get help.  Legal aid or a legal clinic.  Or a local bar association that does pro bono (free) work.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption