If someone else admits guilt to a crime that I have been charged with,will my charges dropped immediately?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone else admits guilt to a crime that I have been charged with,will my charges dropped immediately?

We were in a truck with back seat. We got pulled over and the cop smelled marijuana and asked me, the front passenger, to exit for questioning about the odor. After he questioned me he questioned the rest of the people in the car. While he questioned me the back passenger stashed marijuana in my coat which was in the back seat. I was arrested and charged. Now the guy wants to man up and take responsibility for his dope. This happened 2 weeks ago. He is planning to admit to the arresting officer Monday. Will my charges be dropped immediately or will Ihave to still get a criminal defense lawyer and go to court? In Frederick County, MD.

Asked on March 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Well that really depends on the prosecutor and the judge but I can probably say with pretty much certainty that if you had an attorney to be there next to you and to make the appropriate motion to the court to have them dismiss the charges against you based upon the confession and insufficient evidence against you, that it would go a lot faster. And that there will be less likelihood that things could get somehow twisted here you are charged with something else instead.  It is always best to have someone "block" for you, so to speak.  Think about it.  It may be money well spent for yourself.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption