If someone abandoned a mobile home on my property and hasn’t paid lot rent in3 years, what are my options?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone abandoned a mobile home on my property and hasn’t paid lot rent in3 years, what are my options?

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you need to do is find out who is the registered owner of the mobile home on your property by contacting your state's department of motor vehicles. Once obtained, I would write that person seeking the removal of the trailer.

If the trailer is in good shape, I would clean it up in the interim and rent it out to some third person on a month to month basis to generate some income for you. If the person whi is the registered owner of the mobile home does not claim ownership in the next several years, you might consider filing an action in your county court house seeking that the unit is abandoned and that you own it.

If the mobile home is in bad shape and not worth cleaning up, you would then file an action against the registered owner for its removal and associated damages with it remaining on your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption