If only one person’s name is on the deed to a home and they pass away does the spouse automatically assume the home

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If only one person’s name is on the deed to a home and they pass away does the spouse automatically assume the home

My father-in-law passed away four years ago and
his name is the only name on the deed and on
the mortgage as well. My mother-in-law moved
out and let my children move in. My ex-husband
is now trying to take ownership of that home.
How would they have to go about that?

Asked on May 12, 2019 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You do not mention your father-in-law having had a will, so we will assume there was none. When there is no will, property passes by "intestate succession" (the rules for who gets what when there is no will). If your father-in-law only had children with your mother-in-law (e.g. your ex is the child of your father- and mother-in-law), then the mother-in-law inherited everything: she became 100% owner of the home and your ex has no rights to it (and so can't take ownership) until she passes (if he inherits; e.g. if she does not will it to someone else) or unless she sells, gifts, etc. it to him. 
If you ex is your father-in-law's child by someone other than your mother-in-law (e.g. by a prior wife or girlfriend), the the mother-in-law and your ex each inherited a 50% interest in the home. In that case, as an owner, your mother-in-law can let your children live there, and your ex cannot stop that (any owner can let other people live there). He also cannot take 100% ownership unless your mother-in-law voluntarily gives or sells her share/interest to him. What he can do is bring a legal action to get a court order forcing the home to be sold, with the proceeds of the sale (after paying any costs of sale and paying off any mortgages or liens) being split between him and your mother-in-law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption