If offered a settlement amount for an apartment complex fire, do you have to take it?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If offered a settlement amount for an apartment complex fire, do you have to take it?

I didn’t have renter’s insurance but the complex did and compensating other tenants for their losses. I was offered not even half of what I listed andd have receipts for most of what’s on my list. Should I be happy with what was offered like my ex-neighbor said, or should I ask for what I deserve?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You don't have to accept the settlement offer.  You can continue negotiating to try to obtain additional compensation.  If you are unsuccessful in trying to negotiate a larger amount or are dissatisfied with the settlement offer, you can reject the settlement and file a lawsuit for negligence against the landlord/apartment complex.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit would be the value or replacement cost of the items that were damaged or destroyed in the fire.  You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption