If new owner of my company is moving it from one state to another, what are my options as far as unemployment?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If new owner of my company is moving it from one state to another, what are my options as far as unemployment?

MA to RI.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to collect unemployment (assuming, that is, that you meet the other criteria; e.g. enough hours worked). While normally you can only collect unemployment benefits if you were terminated in some way--fired or laid off--there is a doctrine called "constructive unemployment." This means that if the employer changed the job in some fashion so that you could no longer work there, that may be held to have constructively, or effectively, fired you. The most common source of constructive termination is a distant relocation of the job or position, or a transfer to a distant location, since an employee is not required to uproot his or her entire life to follow the employer. However, you can't look to receive unemployment until the relocation actually occurs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption