If my wife and I never lived together can our marriage be annulled?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I never lived together can our marriage be annulled?

I got married to my wife about 21 months ago in OH, which is where I lived and still reside. She was and still is in WV. Can it be annulled since she never moved here with me?

Asked on March 22, 2016 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No: the law does not care about your living or marital arrangements, and not living together has no bearing on whether the marriage is valid or not (and therefore, whether you can annul it). A marriage may only be annulled for certain limited reasons, such as mental incapacity (the person who married was not mentally competent to get married) or marital fraud (lying about the basic reason to get married--e.g. claiming she wanted kids when she never wants to have children).
You can, of course, divorce her: you can divorce for essentially any reason.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption