If my wages are being garnished, do I still have to make a payment on a “bill”?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wages are being garnished, do I still have to make a payment on a “bill”?

I filed a petition with the court to pay a certain amount per pay period to a law firm and I just received a bill in the mail for the amount that is being taken out of my paycheck. How is this possible? I can’t pay them any more than is being taken out of my check. I’m not calling the people because they aren’t the nicest, but should I send a letter to clarify what they are trying to get?? Why would I have to pay extra when my paycheck is already giving them the amount requested?

Asked on October 20, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Is it possible that the bill just "crossed in the mail" so to speak with the garnishment?  Or that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing (in other words that the office sent out a bill when they did not realize that you were already being garnished)? If neither of these is a possibility and you believe that they are trying to go around the order of the court as to the amount to be garnished then I would write to the law firm (sorry that they are not the nicest; we get that a lot in our profession) by certified mail return receipt requested and enclose your petiton and the order and let them know that you are satisfying the debt as per the order.  If they continue then file a complaint against them.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption