If my spouse has filed for a divorce and I am not contesting it how long will it take for the divorce to be final

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my spouse has filed for a divorce and I am not contesting it how long will it take for the divorce to be final

This divorce was filed on 11-29-2017 and it is now 01-17-2018 and nothing has been done on the proceedings. I am ready for this to be over and I do not want to prolong it. Is it a matter of it being filed during the holidays or what could be the hold up. On 12-01 online it shows ‘ ORDER’ and thats all. What does Order even mean?

Asked on January 17, 2018 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

"Order" generally means that there has been an order signed by the Judge. You are a party to the divorce and you have every right to go down to court to ask the clerk the status.  That is what I would do.  How long it takes depends on the court's docket and that differs everywhere.  Uncontested generally take less time but please go and ask.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption