If my paycheck is garnished and I work part-time but am the only one with income, can they still get 25% of my income?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my paycheck is garnished and I work part-time but am the only one with income, can they still get 25% of my income?

What if the hours are different each week?

Asked on January 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under all states in this country, statutes universally allow for the maximum amount of one quarter (1/4) of the net amount of each pay check period. The amount of what your net paycheck will vary by each pay period depending upon whether or not your hours are consistent or not.

If the amount taken out is too much of a burden for you, you have the option of filing a petition with the court to see if it would reduce the percentage taken out or not. Note, it is entirely up to the judge to grant the request or not depending upon the circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption