If my parents want to claim me as incompetent, what can I can do to refute it?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my parents want to claim me as incompetent, what can I can do to refute it?

I am 19. My parents want to claim me as legally incompetent because I will not go to a treatment center where they want me to go. I am an addict but have been clean for over a month. I want to stay sober and am willing to get care on my own terms. Is there anything I can do to appeal it? Will they automatically win the case or is there anything I can do?

Asked on March 28, 2012 under Estate Planning, Ohio


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Why are you fighting this.  You have a problem and you need to address it.  Your parents should be part of the solution and not the problem.  You need to go to 30 AA meeting in 30 days and continue to go and your parents need to go to Alanon meetings.  You need to focus on your sobriety and understand that your parents are trying to help someone who has made a mess of his life.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption