If my name is not on my son’s birth certificate, when child support is established willI owe back child support?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my name is not on my son’s birth certificate, when child support is established willI owe back child support?

The mother of my son and I are not together and she will not let me see him. I plan to get a DNA test and set up child support so I can take her to court for visitation. I just need to know if I am going to owe for the months before child support is established? My name isn’t on the birth certificate.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I have tried to pin point an answer for you on this but really I can not determine if back support could be ordered if you mean from birth.  Generally it can only be ordered back from the date the petition was filed at the very least.  You should contact the child support enforcement agency for the county in which you live in to ask for sure what the procedure as to back support is under their jurisdiction.  Also ask about providing an Affidavit of Paternity instead of having a DNA test ordered.  If his Mother will not comply, though, you may have no choice.  Support and visitation should come together.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption