If my name is incorrect on a NYC Pink Summons for Open Container, will my summons be dismissed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my name is incorrect on a NYC Pink Summons for Open Container, will my summons be dismissed?

I received an open container pink summons in NYC. They officers wrote my middle
name as my first name by accident, since my middle name is more normal than my
actual first name. So the first name on the summons doesn’t match the first name
on my ID. I was wondering if they log my ID number into their system, and if they
do not, do I even have to show up to court, since the person on the summons
does not actually exist?

Asked on October 21, 2016 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Typivally, an adminstrative error on a traffic ticket is insufficient cause dismissal of a case. A clerical mistake would include misspelling the name of the person who received the ticket. As a general rule such mistakes will be corrected on the citation by a judge; the case will not be dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption