If my Mother quitclaims a house to me will I be considered a first time home buyer?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my Mother quitclaims a house to me will I be considered a first time home buyer?

My Mother & her sister own the house I live in currently but we are trying to figure out a way for them to put the house in my name so I would be the owner & be a first time home buyer. The biggest reason we are trying to do this is to get the first time home buyer tax credit so I can fix some the things wrong with the house. Another issue we think we may have is that I may not be able to get the tax credit being that I am buying the house from a relative.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You quit claim a property means you are given a house without any warranties.  I am unsure if the first time home buyer laws require a house with warranty deeds.  In other words, your quit claim may negate any benefits you receive.   Your best bet, is to contact the lender and find out if a quit claim will negate any program you wish to enroll in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption