If my mother didn’t receive anything as a beneficiary why does she need to sign beneficiary paperwork?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother didn’t receive anything as a beneficiary why does she need to sign beneficiary paperwork?

We live in the state of PA. My step
grandmother had her attorney send
paperwork to my mom on a family
settlement document because she
listed her as a beneficiary. My mom
didn’t receive anything and was
never on a will. Why does she need
to sign papers on the matter? Is
she a beneficiary?

Asked on August 7, 2018 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Ok so I need some clarification. Who passed away?  What kind of "paperwork"? The attorney coprrectly advised you: seek consultation with all the info and papers you have from an attorney on a flat rate hourly basis.  If your Mother would inherit under intestacy then she has to sign documents or be noticed in some way for court if she is being cut out of a Will.  Ther eis not enough info here to guide you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption