If my landlord left an anbandoned vehicle on the property I’m renting, can I legally have the car towed?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord left an anbandoned vehicle on the property I’m renting, can I legally have the car towed?

My landlord moved out-of-state. He left a vehicle on the property that hasn’t moved in a year. I am getting fed up with the it being on the property and he hasn’t mentioned doing anything with the vehicle. I would like to know if I could have it towed legally, that way I wouldn’t have to deal with any confrontation.

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would really not advise that you do that without speaking with your landlord about it ahead of time.  You say that he has not mentioned the vehicle but have you specifically asked about it?  And does the lease indicate anything about property left by him or do you lease the entire property?  If you lease the entire property I would let him know that the car interferes with your use and occupancy.  The proper way to deal with that is in court.  You need to go to court and file a proceeding that advises the court of the matter and request an abatement of the rent for the time you have not had full use. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption