If my landlord filed for bankruptcy can I get my security deposit back?

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord filed for bankruptcy can I get my security deposit back?

Landlord filed for Chapter 7 before I moved out (case is terminated/debtors discharged). Landlord still has full-time job and owns property. Can I still sue him for not returning my security deposit? He basically filed while I was living there. I moved out after he filed for Chapter 7.

Asked on November 22, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former landlord has filed for bankruptcy protection while you were living in the rental but has not returned your security deposit, you need to submit a proof of claim to the bankruptcy court and the trustee for the amount of your unreturned security deposit as soon as possible.

Since your former landlord has filed for bankruptcy protection, you cannot file an action against him or her in state court because of the automatic stay provisions of the  bankruptcy court action. There are proof of claim forms that you can get online for you to make your claim for the security deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption