If I work and stay in a hotel and owe some rent, am I still entitled to my paycheck for the previous 2 weeks of work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I work and stay in a hotel and owe some rent, am I still entitled to my paycheck for the previous 2 weeks of work?

There is no on paper nor was there a written agreement based upon it. Is my landlord/employer still obligated to pay me?

Asked on October 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, unless there was some written agreement that he could hold your check if you owed rent, or offset rent owed vs. your pay--or unless you specifically agreed to let the landlord do it this time--you must be paid your wages, even if you owe rent. Your employer's legal obligation to pay an employee is separate and independent of your obligation, as a tenant, to pay rent. You can try filing a wage complaint with the state department of labor; if they can't help you, your other option is to sue, such as in small claims court, for the money. Bear in mind that if you so sue, they could in that lawsuit countersue you for the unpaid rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption