If my IL’s are Gifting Property to us Land Do we have to pay a property transfer tax?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my IL’s are Gifting Property to us Land Do we have to pay a property transfer tax?

My husbands parents are gifting us a piece of property land in Vermont. They paid 34,000 MANY years ago. We plan to use a Quick Claim Deed to transfer and wondered if we have to file/pay a property transfer tax?

Asked on February 20, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A transfer tax is a tax that is paid in order to record the new deed to the property in the new owners name.  It is paid regardless of the type of transaction causing deed transfer (gift or purchase or inheritance).  It is generally paid by the seller (here, your in laws).  Seek help froma qualified real estate attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption