If my husband is planning on selling our house and taking the money, what are my options?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is planning on selling our house and taking the money, what are my options?

My husband of 25 plus years came home about 3 months ago and told me our house had to be sold because our second mortgage was due in August so I arranged for a realtor and I got the sale going and found out that we didn’t have to sell and he planned on taking the proceeds and leaving me I’m not sure what the next step is.

Asked on June 21, 2018 under Family Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your next step is to consult with a divorce/matrimonial/family attorney IMMEDIATELY. If he was planning on leaving you, you need to look to protect yourself. You may wish to pre-emptively file for divorce while also filing for a court order barring him from selling assets, removing money in the bank, or otherwise leaving you high and dry while the divorce proceeds, and/or which requires him to maintain a minimum level of support for you during the case, in the event he was planning on cutting off support (which, if was going to sell the house, take the money, and run, he may be planning on doing). An attorney will know how this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption