If my husband is behind on support payments, can I deny him visitation with our chidren?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is behind on support payments, can I deny him visitation with our chidren?

We have a court a ordered visitation schedule but he has not made his court ordered support payments.

Asked on October 10, 2018 under Family Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that even if the non-custodial parent has not followed their court orders, this does not give the custodial parent the right to withhold visitation. That having been said, if the custodial parent suspects that the non-custodial parent is abusing the child or was in some way putting the child in danger, then the custodial parent should report this immediately and act through the court to get the current visitation rights changed. Additionally, the courts will also see to it that the child (or spousal) support payments are be made and on time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption