If my husband has been recording my phone conversations, can he use that in court against me?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband has been recording my phone conversations, can he use that in court against me?

He has also hacked my phone and text messages and plans to bring them to court. He has cheated on me numerous times but I don’t have proof. What can I do?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire a private investigator to help you obtain evidence against him. Further, you need a lawyer to see if any of the information he obtained can be thrown out (like illegal wire tapping). Depending on what he obtained and how he obtained it, he may be run into state and federal law violations. As to the issue regarding the hacking of phone messages and text messages, contact your cell phone provider, find out how this can occur and what you can do to prevent it. If it means getting a new phone and a program that can trace what he is doing, do it, because that can only show what he is doing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption