If my husband and I have officially filed for divorce in one state and we both get job offers to moveto another state, do we have to refile?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I have officially filed for divorce in one state and we both get job offers to moveto another state, do we have to refile?

We filed for divorce 3 years ago, just finished custody mediation. No court date has been set. We both have job offers in MA and are thinking of relocating there. Can we continue our divorce in CAin absentia? We will not be fighting over financial stuff at all. We don’t have any real assets and our debt has all been consolidated into a new car loan.

Asked on August 25, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well, you probably have a choice:  you can withdraw your petition in California and re-file in Massachusetts once you meed to residency requirements there.  Or you can continue with the divorce proceeding in California.  Remember, though, that you will have to go to California to finalize the divorce.  Generally speaking, courts only require that you fulfill a residency requirement priorto the filing of your divorce (the residency requirement varies from state to state and can be as little as 30 days but as long as 6 months) in order to give the court jurisdiction over you.  Most states oly require jurisdiction for filing over the petitioner but will require that jurisdiction be obtained in someway over the respondent before a determination on the divorce is made (Georgia is an exception here).  It really I guess depends on how far along you are and what will be easier for you in the long run.  Consult with your lawyer and figure out the cost for doing both.  Then you can make a decision.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption