If my house is deeded to me, can my family prevent me from selling it?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my house is deeded to me, can my family prevent me from selling it?

My greataunt left me her house when she died. I want to sell the house as I can’t afford it but my family says I can’t. They want me to just sign the house over to them with nothing in return or they said they will sue me. Can they do that?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your great aunt left you title to her house and it is now in your name, you can do anything with it since you own it of record. If you do not yet have title of the home in your name, I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney to assist you in having title transferred to you.

As to family members suing you over the house, there is nothing stopping them from doing so. Whether they would prevail in any such lawsuit based upon the legal theory for bringing suit against you seems unlikely from what you have written concerning your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption