If my HOA will not enforce certain CCR’s and it is negatively affecting me, what is my recourse?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my HOA will not enforce certain CCR’s and it is negatively affecting me, what is my recourse?

In my HOA, residential streets are private and the police do not have jurisdiction. I have neighbors who live across the street who insist on parking in front of my property. They have a driveway and a space in front of their house. Now 2 rules in my HOA are that no house can have more than 4 vehicles and also that parking cannot “unreasonable interfere” with access to adjoining parking spots.They have 5 cars and they do not park in front of their house.They park 2 away from any house and one to consistently interfere with my driveway. HOA only sends letters, does not actively enforce rules.

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to read through your documents regarding the HOA and their responsibilities and then document their inactivity in a letter.  Ask them to enforce the rules and if they do not, you will seek help doing so.  The speak with ana ttorney that deals with HOA's and look at your options. You may have to sue them. Good luck. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption