If my ex took out a loan for my student fees but there was no contract between her and I, am I legally obligated to repay the loan?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex took out a loan for my student fees but there was no contract between her and I, am I legally obligated to repay the loan?

I know that she took out the loan for me and I am paying the payments on the loan and intend to continue to. She is saying that I have to pay back the whole amount before next month or she will take me to court and then they will take away all of my pay check to pay it. Is this correct? Also, by law does she need to provide me with the account number to the loans so I can direct deposit the payments and the total amounts on the loans, as well as the interest rate? Because so far she is refusing to do any of that. She wants access to my bank account to set up direct payments, which I think is wrong.

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your "ex" is your former girlfriend and not your fornmer wife, then she can make an argument that there was an oral agreement between you and her that you were to repay the student loans that she paid for.

You in turn could argue that her payment of the student loans that you had was a "gift" from her with no obligation by you to repay.

Only you and your "ex" know the truth as to why she paid off the student loans that you have written about as to being a "gift" of paid with an expectation of repayment from you in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption