If my Divorce agreement is not being met by my ex, what can i do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my Divorce agreement is not being met by my ex, what can i do?

Financial payments to me, by my ex-husband are not being made. Can I take him
to court?

Asked on September 19, 2017 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex.
File an Order to Show Cause for the hearing on this matter after calling the court clerk to schedule the hearing. With the Order to Show Cause , file your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts supporting your contempt of court claim and any other supporting documents or other evidence. Also file a proof of service. After filing with the court, mail a copy of all these documents to your ex. The proof of service verifies the date of mailing of your documents to provide your ex with notice of the hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption