If my credit card company refuses to remove an unauthorized charge, can I refuse to pay them?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my credit card company refuses to remove an unauthorized charge, can I refuse to pay them?

OK, so here’s the situation: I have a credit card that Ive had for about 7 months. There were several unauthorized charges made in march for a total of over $900. My credit limit is only $5000, so that is a significant chunk of my limit.I called customer support and submitted a dispute and all that to have the charges removed. A week or so later, they were successfully removed. Now, nearly 3 months later, the merchant has re-submitted the charges, and I have been re-charged that $900 that was removed when I submitted the dispute.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you refuse to pay them, you will be in default of your obligations to the credit card company and could face all the consequences that entails: higher interest rate and late fees, collections efforts, lawsuit. The credit card company *can't* remove charges is the party billing you can provide some evidence that the charge was validly placed on your card--otherwise, the credit card company could be sued by them for failure to pay. The credit card company's job is not to determine the truth of the charges; it's to pay all charges that, at least on their face, appear to have validity.

Your recourse is to sue the person(s) who placed the unauthorized charges and/or file a police report as to the action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption