If my college has a hold on my transcript for unpaid debt once it moves to a collection agency do they have to release it?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my college has a hold on my transcript for unpaid debt once it moves to a collection agency do they have to release it?

The debt is still legally owned by the school but the collection agency has the sole, legal rights to collect. Does it matter whether the debt is managed or owned by the agency?

Asked on January 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your college has a hold on your school transcripts for unpaid debt (tuition) where the debt is sent to collections for payment, your college has no obligation to release the hold on your school transcripts.

Most likely under your tuition agreement, enrollment agreement or school rules that are in force, there is specific language stating that your college reserves the right to release student transcripts unless all obligations owed by the particular student to the academic institution are paid in full. I suggest that you carefully read the documents you received and/or signed for your school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption