If my child got hurt at a fair can I sue them?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my child got hurt at a fair can I sue them?

They thought fixing the ride with duck tape would be OK but my child got hurt.

Asked on April 3, 2016 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If, as seems to be the case, they were negligent or careless (as fixing a fair ride with duct tape would seem to be), then you legally may sue. The question is, is it worth it? If you sue and win, you can only get:
Out of pocket (not paid by insurance or medicaid) medical costs;
Lost wages, if you missed any work to care for your child;
IF your child has suffered some disability, disfigurement, or other significant life impairment lasting months or longer, some amount for "pain and suffering."
So if, as we hope, your child is basically ok and you had small medical costs, it's not worth suing: you could spend more on the lawsuit than you'd get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption