If I preformed a service for a customerand installed materialsbut thecustomer does not pay bill, can remove those materials from the building?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I preformed a service for a customerand installed materialsbut thecustomer does not pay bill, can remove those materials from the building?

Customer owns a building which we remodeled so he could lease it to his customer. We were asked to do the wiring to his customer’s specifications, which we did. Therewas no quote, just time and materials. Now he thinks the bill was too high and does not want to pay.

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, that is not how you recover what is due you--if you do this, you will be likely be guilty of some combination of trespassing, breaking and entering, theft, and/or vandalism.

If you did work for someone and they won't pay, you sue them. You can sue even on an oral agreement--e.g. just a spoken agreement for time and materials. It's possible that if you are charging for an unreasonable amount of hours or an unreasonable rate, a court might not give you everything you want--they may compensate you based on what is considered "reasonable" in your area for that work--but if you did the work, you should get something. For smaller amounts, you could represent yourself in small claims court; for larger amounts, hire an attorney to seek payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption