If my brother took a friend’s wallet with $275 in it but returned it within 24 hours with $300 in it, can he be charged and convicted of theft?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother took a friend’s wallet with $275 in it but returned it within 24 hours with $300 in it, can he be charged and convicted of theft?

Also what can be done if the owner of the wallet and their friends are harassing him?

Asked on October 15, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he can be charged with theft even if he returned the wallet later--even with more money than he'd taken. It is theft to intentinally or knowingly take property belonging to another, regardless of what is later done with the property; the theft occured at the moment your brother took the wallet, and is not negated by returning it later--though having returned it voluntarily, if he is charged, he has increased his chance of possibly having the charge later dismissed, or more likely, having the charge and/or any punishment reduced. (He also can't be sued for the money if he gave it back.)

If the wallet's owner and friends are threatening him, damaging his property, etc., those are crimes and he can make a police report and possible press charges. If it's hust that they are hassling him without doing anything itself illegal, he may have to put up with that: the law does not say that person A cannot be obnoxious to or "harass" person B, so long as A does not cross the line into illegal activities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption