If my brother and I are the only ones in my Grandma’s Will, how do we divide the estate?

UPDATED: May 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother and I are the only ones in my Grandma’s Will, how do we divide the estate?

She has personal belongings and households, as well as jewerly and some cash. He just wants the money, not her other things. Is he entitled to more money than me?

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you both inherited equally under her Will then you are entitled to everything 50/50.  If he wants none of the estate other than the cash then you should probably have everything appraised or valued then you will know how much it is worth if you wish to keep it.  Or you can sell it and split the proceeds 50/50.  So say she has a ring and it is worth $1000 and she has $3000 in cash and you want the ring but your brother does not.  Then you could take the ring and $1000 in cash and he could take the $2000 in cash and it would be an equal divide.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption