If my boyfriend and I split up can he make me pay for my portion on the family plan insurance.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriend and I split up can he make me pay for my portion on the family plan insurance.

He put me on this plan. The relationship isn’t
working out and now wants to make me pay
for the insurance.

Asked on January 18, 2018 under Insurance Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, he cannot force you to pay now if there had been no pre-existing agreement that you would; without a prior agreement (entered into before he put you on the plan) that you would pay under certain circumstances, his decision to put you on the plan was his voluntary choice and he essentally "gifted" the coverage to you. Once someone gives you something for  free without an agreement that you will pay for it, they cannot later make you pay: there is no legal basis to force you to pay without your having agreed to do so. Of course, he can drop you from the coverage at his earliest opportunity (e.g. when the current plan expires and is up for renewal), but that's a different story.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption