If my 2 roommates cancel the lease but we paid rent for the current month, do I have to vacate immediately?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 2 roommates cancel the lease but we paid rent for the current month, do I have to vacate immediately?

Or do I have until the end of the month? It’s a 6 month lease.

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Is the six (6) month lease at an end or not? If so, then you can stay up to the end of the month for the last month of the six (6) month lease if your roommates have paid for the very last month in advance.

You would not have to vacate immediately if in fact rent has been paid through the end of January 2012 by your two roommates based upon what you have written.

If the lease is not at an end and the roommates have decided to end the lease on the earlier side, they and possibly you may be liable to the landlord for additional unpaid months depending upon what the written lease states assuming there is one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption