If multiple checks were written out of my closed account totalling almost $6,000, could there be criminal charges?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If multiple checks were written out of my closed account totalling almost $6,000, could there be criminal charges?

Checks were written out of my closed checking account almost 3 years ago. We received letters from collection agencies and received a few calls but then it stopped. Is there a certain amount of time that criminal charges could be filled? What could happen at this point?

Asked on July 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


Jack Moser, Jr. / Jack Moser Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The unfortunate answer to this question is that is it possible that a passing bad check charge could be brought so long as the party seeking payment for the loss can prove that you signed the check knowing that there was not sufficient funds to cover. If those three year old checks were not written by you, the best thing a person in your situtation can do is contact the police and report identity theft and stolen checks. If for some reason you actually get charged with passing bad checks and the case is in the central Ohio area, then contact our office to discuss further - Jack Moser Law at 614-478-8005 or find us online at http://www.jmoserlaw.com. Good Luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption