If a family member and I rented a place but I did not sign the lease, what do I do now that she served me with eviction papers?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a family member and I rented a place but I did not sign the lease, what do I do now that she served me with eviction papers?

My family member signed a lease to a house; my name was written on it but I did not sign it. Now the landlord served us with eviction papers and suing us. Can she really serve me with those papers since I didn’t sign the lease agreement?

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The landlord is not taking any chances amd is suing you based upon the lease even though you did not sign it.  You can still be considered a month to month tenant and many times landlords will sue "John Doe" as a ficticious name to insure that ALL occupants are evicted.  I would consult a lawyer in your area and bring all paperwork.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption