If involved in an accident with a person with no license and insurance and the fault is questionable, what should my course of action be?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If involved in an accident with a person with no license and insurance and the fault is questionable, what should my course of action be?

I came into in a person with no license and no insurance. Legal action was not taken. However, they decided that it was my fault but I don’t believe it is. What can I do?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, if you have relevant insurance--e.g. uninsured driver coverage--put in a claim under it; and if the insurer denies your claim, consult in person with an attorney who can evaluate the situation in detail and decide whether you should bring a legal action to challenge that determination. It may be that the only way you can get compensation is via your own insurance, if you have it.

Second, if you don't have relevant insurance, you can sue the other party for any damages (car damage, medical bills, lost wages, etc.), but the question becomes whether it is worth it. If that person has no insurance, it is likely they have little income and few assets; if that is also the case, then even if you sue them and win, there may be no money to collect. That's why claiming against your own insurance--and, if necessary, taking your own insurer to court if they deny the claim--is your best option; your insurer will have money to pay. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption