If I’m on probation but have a warrant for an unpaid ticket fee and I go to meet with my officer, will they arrest me?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m on probation but have a warrant for an unpaid ticket fee and I go to meet with my officer, will they arrest me?

Or should I wait until I pay the ticket and risk getting in trouble for meeting with them late?

Asked on October 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You're kind-of in a catch twenty-two-- but it's better to appear and be up front about needing an extension to pay rather than not appearing on time.  If you don't appear as required, then you could incur another charge of "failure to appear," which would mean another charge, another bond, or another fine to pay.  In essence, it will just be more expensive for you in the long run.  Better to be up front with your officer, explain your situation, and see if they will agree to a withdrawal fo the warrant.  If you have some money for the fine-- take what you do have as a good faith showing that you are trying to come up with the funds to pay the ticket.  If you have verification of employment-- take that with you as well to demonstrate that you do have the means to come up with the money if they will provide you one more extension.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption