If I’m at fault for the accident and the other party is suing, can they take my house?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m at fault for the accident and the other party is suing, can they take my house?

I have car insurance but if the other party won’t settle with my insurer, can they sue for my house. Is paid for but only worth about 20K. I also have about $10,000 in savings. Can they take that as well?

Asked on November 29, 2018 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They don't directly sue for your house or savings, but can sue you. If they win, if they are awarded less than your insurance policy, your insurance should cover it and pay for you. If they win more than your insurance, you'd have to pay the excess. If you don't, they could then put a lien on you house and after that, possibly force it to be sold to pay them; or they could go after and take money directly from your bank account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption