if I’m a week before court can I fire my public defender

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if I’m a week before court can I fire my public defender

My public defender doesn’t talk
with me he hasn’t provided me
with any advice helpful to my

Asked on October 23, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can fire your court appointed attorney at any point during the criminal process... however, the court is not required to appoint you a new attorney.  They provided an attorney.  If you reject the attorney they chose, then you could be forced to find your own counsel at your expense.  If you cannot afford an attorney, then you could also be forced to proceed to trial without an attorney...which could be extremely dangerous for your case.   If you do decide to fire your court appointed attorney, then make sure that you have a new attorney lined up before hand to pick up the slack once the old attorney is discharged by the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption