If I’m a person of interest do I have to give a statement to the police if they asked me too?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a person of interest do I have to give a statement to the police if they asked me too?

I filed a police report a week ago; the person of interest has put a police report on me. Now they want a statement. What should I do?

Asked on March 8, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Never allow yourself to be interrogated by the authorities (i.e. the police, FBI, etc.) without having an attorney present. This is true even if they show up to your home. Legally, you do not have to submit to any such questioning. The fact is that you are a suspect and if they do question you, they may get you to incriminate yourself in the crime being investigated. The fact is that they are well trained and experienced in interrogation techniques. At this point, you really need to consult directly with a local criminal defensr lawyer who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption