If im 17 and married am I considered emancipated?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If im 17 and married am I considered emancipated?

My parents and his signed for us to get
married, and we did a couple weeks ago in the
state of Mississippi. We are both 17. Does that
make us automatically emancipated? If not do I
have to do something to get that so we can do
things on our own without the need of a parent

Asked on February 16, 2018 under Family Law, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It seems that emancipation in Mississippi comes at age 21 or at any age that there is a Court declatation that a minor is emancipated.  Getting married does not make you emancipated under Mississippi law.  So what you need to do is file a Petition for a court declaration that you are emancipated.  Also, at 18 you can enter in to contracts and make certain other decisions without the declaration.  But for all purposes you will need a court order stating such.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption