If I worked for a corporation that had a whistle blowers policy and I used it and then was fired for it, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I worked for a corporation that had a whistle blowers policy and I used it and then was fired for it, what are my rights?

In short- I composed an email after speaking with my boss and him giving me the information that informed HR about a potential safety violation on another employee that should have rendered him ineligible for a position, but then “I” was terminated for it because of bringing it to there attention by use of company email system, what should I do, or do I have any rights?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were terminated at your last place of employment where you believe that you are protected by your state's whistle blower statute as stated in your question, I suggest that you consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor to discuss what your legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption