If I was sold a car and wanted to return it the same day, am I eligible to do so?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was sold a car and wanted to return it the same day, am I eligible to do so?

I bought a car 3 days ago and that night it wouldn’t start. I called the dealer and told them I don’t want the car and they can come get it. They told me that I just can’t return the car that easily. What can I do? What are my options?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under General Practice, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the problem was something existing as of when you bought the car (and not something which arose later, after you bought the car, from misuse or accident), then the dealership must correct  the problem or else take the car back--that is the case under both the law generally (a vendor cannot sell and require a customer to take a defective product) and under WI's Lemon Law specifically. However, the dealership does not have to immediatley take the vehicle back--it can first try to fix it, and gets up to four attempts to repair the problem. Below is a link to a tovernment webstie about your state's Lemon Law, for more information; good luck:


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption