If I was placed as a dependant on my soon to be ex-husband’s taxes as we were still married last tax year, am I entitled to any of the tax refunds?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was placed as a dependant on my soon to be ex-husband’s taxes as we were still married last tax year, am I entitled to any of the tax refunds?

My husband filed his taxes early this year and has not given me anything nor let me know anything other than that he used me as a dependant on them and used my SSN on them since he and i were still legally married that tax year. He also keeps all of my belongings locked in a storage building to which only he knows the address and only he has a key to get into. Is there any way to get court orders for him to return my things to me and have them sent to my residence with him paying the expenses of shipping them?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I a so sorry for your situation.  I am very suspicious of what exactly your husband did on his taxes.  What was his status on filing? Married filing separately?  Filing jointly?  If he filed jointly then you would have had to sign the returns  If he filed separately them you should also have filed.  I am worried for you.  You need to figure that out.  As for the belongings, is there a divorce agreement as to same or a court ordered decree?  You need to haul him back to court to get this straightened out and ask for the judge to sanction him which may pay for the shipping.  Get help please as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption