IfI was never served or given any notifactionof a hearing, is it legal for the court to issue an arrest warrant for failure to appear?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI was never served or given any notifactionof a hearing, is it legal for the court to issue an arrest warrant for failure to appear?

It’s a DUI case that was dismissed by then refiled. I was never served any summons of the hearing. The arrest warrant was issued 10 days prior to the statue of limitations being up.

Asked on January 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Philip Petersen / The Law Offices of Philip Petersen

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking to the limited facts presented:

First, you should hire a competent attorney, licensed in the area in which this action is pending, and fully discuss all of the facts with that attorney.

Generally, if a case is "dismissed" it is usually nol prossed (short for nolle prosequi, a Latin term), functionally meaning it is "dismissed without prejudice", and the district attorney (or other prosecuting agency) has the option to refile within the applicable statute of limitations.

Generally, if the case is refiled, an arrest warrant is then issued.  It appears from your question and the additional information in the follow up that you are confusing a "failure to appear" (FTA) warrant with an initial arrest warrant.  If the case was "nol prossed" and then refiled, you should have been arrested on a new arrest warrant, not an FTA warrant.  You are generally not given notice of a new arrest warrant on a newly filed or refiled charge.

You should fully discuss the facts of your case with a competent attorney to determine a more accurate answer to your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption