If I was issued a traffic violation is that the only thing I can be charged with if a small amount of marijuana was found?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was issued a traffic violation is that the only thing I can be charged with if a small amount of marijuana was found?

By this I mean a criminal amount of marijuana was found but no arrests were made and only standard information was taken down as well as a traffic violation issued. I was told I would be summoned the next day, what does this mean?

Asked on March 18, 2015 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In addition to the traffic violation, you can be charged with possession of marijuana.  The traffic violation was probable cause for the search which led to the discovery of the marijuana.

The summons is a notice you will receive in the mail notifying you when you will appear in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption