What should I do if I was injured on my first day at my new job due to no proper training or orientation?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was injured on my first day at my new job due to no proper training or orientation?

Now the company is trying to have me come in for orientation and training after my injury.

Asked on July 29, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The first thing you need to do is report the injury to human resources.  They are required to keep an OSHA log of any injuries in the workplace.  You are required to report.  If you fail to report the injury, then you could potentially waive some of your worker's comp rights.

Your second option is to decide if you still want to be with the company.  You are not required to stay with them if you don't want to -- namely because it appears they have soe questionable safety practices.  If you do want to stay, attend the orientation so that you know how to avoid the next potential injury.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption